Sunday, March 7, 2010



3-2-10 Blast off! That is not only when, but how Karen Marie Shutt came into the world. We had hoped and prayed she would come on time, but at 9pm Tuesday March 2nd "the due date" we settled down for bed with no sign of her coming. Blast off was at 9:15pm when I woke to my water breaking and major contractions. Allen is a heavy sleeper, so it took shaking and about three more contractions for get his awake. We called our prepared babysitters (9:40pm) and waited patiently between contractions (breathing in the car) for them to make it across town (20 minutes). We zoomed at maximum speed limit to the hospital, but at times I just wanted to say "Run all those lights!" just like in the movies. I was breathing hard, walking in slow motion, trying to no push, and the ER nurses knew a wheel chair was needed (10:15pm). The on-call doctor checked me and called every available nurse saying, "We have a baby!" No time for IV medicines or any paperwork. "Push when you are ready." At 10:29pm Karen Marie Shutt was born three minutes before our doctor could get there, but perfect for timing of the doctor to stitch me up and do Karen's first (cord) blood donation.


Honestly, even though it was fast and furious, I wanted it all to happen that way. Karen was born on her special day (not mine), without the help of drugs or other interventions. Our healthy daughter weighed in at 11lbs 4oz, no wonder gravity was helping her come! Shortest labor and delivery and shortest hospital stay. I healed fast and Karen was beyond healthy (my little line backer). We were discharged at lunch on the fourth (Allen's B-day) in time to pick Eva from school.

Our family is doing great, adjusting well and loving Karen.
My only wish is that I could add a picture of Karen without Allen's help.

Oh well, he has done a good job of adding pictures in past blogs.

Love you all!

1 comment:

Mike and Marisa Compton said...

woah! I didnt realize you went that quick. Karen likes to get stuff done! Get in, get out, get it over with. Hope everyone is having fun with the new arrival!