Friday, January 28, 2011

Reading Adult Books?

Let us start out with the facts. I am not a reader, or that is what I thought about 6 months ago.
Maybe longer, like most habits it is a slow process then one day you wake up and you are doing the thing you thought you would never do.

It started with my siblings one at a time they would say, "Come read this book with me." Mary -Lord of the Rings series by J.R R. Tolkien (that was a tough start back in her senior year of college), Lorraine- Ensign articles (must easier and now a habit), my husband's academy recommended several books for his new job which I embraced I Love a Cop, (because it is true in more ways than one) Sarah- Kim by Rudyard Kipling (it took 4 months, two different books for variety of pictures/text, and many recheck outs from the library), and my current read from Rebecca- Financial Peace Revisited (visiting for the first time) by Dave Ramsey.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I found myself this morning reading every spare moment after breakfast, between diaper changes, when the kids are playing nicely. I know it is in the genes, because my father always has a book with him. I remember him reading at stop lights when he would take me to college.

Amazing how a change in attitude, motivation, prospective, and prioritizing time work together.

3 comments:

Heather said...

PS
I worked hard to find and link things this time, a new concept for me. Plus I wanted Someone to comment so I guess i have to do it myself.

Jenny Jackson said...

Good job Heather! I love reading although it is always hard to find time to fit it in.

I am impressed with the links too, I don't have any idea how to do that, so good job figuring it out. :)

Sarah said...

Oh I'm so excited! I have a secret: I'm not a reader either. Are you shocked. I have to make myself read these books, but then it feels so good afterwards and I've learned so much. I'm going to talk about the books I'm reading on my librarian blog from now on. If I find a fun one I think you'll like I"ll let you know.

Loves,
Sarah